Laser teeth whitening or in-office whitening is a procedure that takes place at the clinic and uses a light-activated bleaching gel to whiten your teeth.
The procedure usually takes approx 1 hour and produces instant whitening results.
The Laser teeth whitening procedure
- Before starting a full assessment of your teeth would be carried out by one of the dentists at our clinic .We would check that the teeth are healthy and clean and ready for the cosmetic procedure.
- We would record the colour of the teeth and make a note of this as well as take a digital photograph.
- The mouth is prepared for the whitening process. The gums , lips and tongue are protected from the gel and safety goggles are placed to protect the eyes from the strong light source.
- The whitening gel is placed on the teeth and the light is activated. The light source through heat and light helps activate the gel to work more efficiently and get a quicker better result.
- After approximately 15 minutes the gel is removed and the process repeated another 2 times.
- We will then wash of the gel remove the protection and then take final photographs. In addition the final colour of the teeth will be assessed and recorded.The final colour can be as much as 8 shades lighter and this will continue to get lighter with the use of home whitening kits that are custom made.
- Some patients’ teeth can be sensitive immediately following this procedure and may even need to take painkillers . This will not usually last longer than 24 hours and it is advised to try and avoid hot or cold drinks for a while.
- Home whitening kits work over a longer period of time and Power whitening gives much quicker and instant results. We have found using both gets a quick result but combining it with the home kits keeps the result lasting longer.